Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Ugly

I need to really try and figure out this phone camera - it's 8mp so it should be better than this. Or, perhaps, it thought that this plate was too ugly to deserve a decent photo:



Anyway, this is "purple" asparagus (used because it wouldn't last until the next time that I could use it two nights later), mashed potatoes and braised beef short ribs:


Brown the 3-4 short ribs in an oven-proof pan (with a little vegetable or canola oil).


Saute a sliced red onion until barely browned.


Add 1TB tomato paste and cook for a few minutes.


Add 1 cup of stock (recipe calls for beef but I only had chicken), 1/8C red wine vinegar (I have it but thought that balsamic would be better) and a bottle of dark, stout beer (again, I didn't have something so I used a German style pale amber).


Bring to a boil then cover and put in a 350d oven for a couple of hours. I don't remember how long it took but start to check it after 90 minutes. It will be fork tender, falling off of the bone.


Best served with something to mock up the sauce - such as the potatoes.


How's that for a cooler weather dish (even if it's ugly)? If you try it, skip the asparagus (it was only $1.99 pound) and make a green salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment